Tuesday, July 3, 2007

One Local Summer Week 2

Here it is week 2 for One Local Summer. I am having so much fun with this challenge! And actually, I am trying to eat mainly local food...of course there are a lot of ingredients that are still not really local, but I am paying a lot more attention to labels, and asking a lot more questions. It definitely pays to be an informed consumer, especially with all the recalls going on...toothpaste? What?!

This week I roasted my first chicken. It's funny because I absolutely love to cook, and I love making homemade meals, but I never make normal family meals, ie the meals my mom used to make for us. Instead I do a lot of mexican, a lot of thai, anything and everything spicy. But, roasting a chicken seemed to be the perfect fit for this week, since I had an organic chicken from Snafu Acres in the freezer, and because Maine decided it was fall instead of summer ;-) A little heat in the house can't hurt!

Along with the roasted chicken I made potato salad. I was able to get some potatoes from Denis at Long Meadow Farm, in West Gardiner, and eggs were also from Snafu Acres. And thanks to Wendy for posting on her site that Cains Mayo is from Mass...I'll take it! I did put in some non local celery, but wasn't thinking about it at the time. Just chopped, dropped...and then realized. But, I am going to just go with it this week. Does celery grow in Maine? And to round out our dish, I bought a ton of peas at the farmer's market this past weekend and shelled them right before dinner...yum!

Breakdown as follows:

Organic chicken - Snafu Acres, Monmouth 15 miles
Organic Potatoes - Long Meadow Farm 3 miles
Free Range eggs - Snafu Acres, Monmouth 15 miles
Cain's Mayo - Ayer, MA 163 miles
Organic peas - I can't remember what this farm was called...but they are 21 miles

Non-Local:

Celery - the package says Chelsea MA, which isn't too far off, but who knows where the celery actually came from...

Matt wanted me to take a picture of him with the chicken...of course we had already started carving it at this point...what a goofball


Here is a lovely picture of our meal...I still need to work on the garnish :-)


And for dessert...the remainder of our strawberries...man...I went through those pretty fast! Oh! And the strawberries are about 17 miles away from a pick your own farm. Fun!

3 comments:

Liz said...

It has been a bit chilly, hasn't it? But in a good way! :) Celery does grow in Maine, but it's a fall crop.

Your chicken dinner looks wonderful. Isn't it great to be in pea season? Yum!

Unknown said...

Tell Matt, Chad and Ginny said hi. We miss his crazy antics. Glad we (Ginny actually) found your blog. Our blog is at, www.themainelife.com.

Heather said...

Hey Chad! Thanks for visiting! I actually came across your site a few days ago. Matt says hello as well :-) Hope all is well!