Monday, August 17, 2009

Happy Foody Green Smoothie Challenge!

Hello all :-) Today is the first day of the Happy Foody Green Smoothie Challenge. I am pretty excited about it too! My sister-in-law and her family are joining me and my family, so it should be a good time overall...well...until the second week when Matt realizes no white sugar actually means no white sugar :-)

From Sara's blog the rules are as follows:

We will begin on August 17 and end on September 17. Here is what you are committing to:

•Drink at least 16 oz. of green smoothie per day (a quart would be even better!)
•Do some sort of activity every day. This could be an intense workout, or just dancing with your kids around the living room. It could be a 15 minute yoga session or a walk around the block.
•Add a green leafy salad to your lunch or supper (with light dressing…stay away from the creamier sauces).
•Stop drinking pop.
•Cut out all white sugar.

For me the most difficult thing will be the exercise I think. I just don't exercise. I guess I do walk most days with Emma, but it isn't very strenuous to walk. I would like to do something a little more involved, but not sure what. I might try and do some yoga, or pilates since I have the DVD's. I might try running again, but we all know I won't stick with that. So that will be the most difficult part for me. The easy part? No pop. I don't drink anything but water, and the occasional orange juice, so no soda will be an easy one :-)

In other news, my garden seems to be doing well:


See those potatoes???!!! I can't believe I actually grew them! I would have gotten quite a bit more if I had been able to hill my potatoes properly, but almost 2 months of straight rain didn't really allow for hilling. So this is what I got from 3 plants, still enough for a big potato salad though :-) I still have 4 plants in the ground which I will probably pull sometime this week. The corn looks good too, although I don't know if it will actually get dry enough for me to use (it is flour corn), I have a ton of green tomatoes as well, luckily I haven't been hit by the late blight like my CSA. But, the question is, will they turn red?! It doesn't appear that they are turning yet. But, hopefully after another week of hot, humid temps they will start to turn. Exciting times :-) I do love bringing in the fruits of my labor :-) Oh, and I did have 6 green beans, but Emma and I ate them before I took a picture...I only had one little green bean plant survive. I might get another dozen green beans off of it if I am lucky :-)

Good luck to everyone else that may be trying the Green Smoothie Challenge!

1 comment:

Kristen's Raw said...

Awesome plan!!! Good luck!!!

Cheers to green smoothies!
Kristen